Chaz's Reviews > Without Remorse

Apr 01, 2008

bookshelves: espionage-thriller
Recommended for: Espionage fans, Clancy fans
Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** A couple of months ago, I realilzed that I was about a decade behind in Clancy's Jack Ryan series; now at home nursing a work-related injury, I've siezed my window of opportunity to play catch-up.

I've finally receved the background I was curious about. I was very glad that Clancy decided to take a step back and let us know from exactly where/what Kelly had come. I decided against a fifth star because I felt that Clancy's romance writing was clunky and a bit too contrived. But what do you expect from an espionage/military action powerhouse? So I tolerated the former, knowing full well that the latter would be worth it, and I wasn't disappointed.

I won't go into the obvious ethical issues that this book brings to the forefront. There's not enough time or space for a dissertation on that. I just appreciate the superb story-telling more than anything else. But I felt the most riveting part of the story was treated as no more than a by-line--that being the death of the traitor Hicks. That one chilled my blood more than any of the other deaths experienced in this volume. (And that's saying something, because there were a lot). Hicks' death was so different than the others because it was neither one of Kelly's pre-meditated, vigilante killings, nor one of his heat-of-battle, para-military decisions against another war-fighter. Hicks was a civilian and his death officially marked Clark's crossing of the line into the black world where he basically becomes a sanctioned hit-man for his government.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Without Remorse.