Jason Byrne's Reviews > Interface

Interface by Neal Stephenson

Jul 30, 2011

I own a copy

An intriguing read - both for the science and the politics. The science came off as believable, but where this books shines is the dead right tone it gives the politics in the book. I've been working in politics and campaigns for three decades and the window this gives into that world, while not factually correct at all times, is definitely correct in capturing the essence.

And like with all Stephenson books, this delivers memorable characters and settings. There seems to be a bit more humor in this book than Stephenson usually delivers (and thus reminded me much more of Bruce Sterling).

As a DC-area native, I especially found the inclusion and description of this area to be well done and accurate for the most part.

In summary, this book provides a chilling what-if on what the confluence of technology and politics might bring about, and it does it with some humor, great characters, and a story that winds its way through many subplots while never losing sight of the goal. The descriptions of locations in the book I am familiar with were dead on, as were the descriptions of electoral politics and life within the bubble of Washington DC.

Note on the author:
I got an older copy of this from a friend and for the author it listed "Stephen Bury" and then had a little sticker on it that said "With Neal Stephenson!". So going in, I'd known Stephenson had some influence on it and it wasn't until after I finished the book that I looked up the author and saw it was a collective pseudonym for Stephenson and his uncle.

Wasn't really much of a surprise as while I was reading I ran across numerous passages where I said to myself "Man, Stephenson must have written this entire passage!" Especially for this era of Stephenson's career, this is very much true to his writing style then (first part of the '90s_.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interface.