Garrett Zecker's Reviews > Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

Jul 30, 2011

liked it

I can't believe that I am going to say this, but there is a chance that after reading this book and doing the exercises that I can draw a little bit. I mean, really. My drawings at this stage without too much more practice resemble the album covers of emo-teens with acoustic guitars, but I am certainly doing much better than Napoleon Dynamite. Big time. I think the approach to art that it presents is really intriguing - that we are primarily hammered into left-brain dominance through the acquisition of language - and it is through a reconnection with defamiliarization and the foreign thought process of our childhood that we can shed this brain drain we have lived with for so long since elementary school. I still have a long way to go with this - I find that symbols are constantly at war with my conceptualization of the world (and strangely I am wondering if that takes away the beauty with which we see it, after all, a rose is a rose is a rise, right?) - but this book is certainly a big step in shedding the messed up approaches to visual thinking that I have acquired. As a writer I am at an even bigger disadvantage, but I am on my way. I have learned a great deal more than any other drawing manual I have encountered so far, and it really helps to understand that it is not me - that anyone could be a good illustrator given the correct parameters and education on the visual arts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

04/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Norhamidah (new) - added it

Norhamidah sorry can i ask yuo something, i can't download this book, where i can download this book? i am really want to read it. Thanks

Garrett Zecker I'm sorry, but I don't know. I borrowed mine from the library, and then purchased one, but they were both hard copies.

Sreyda Sem We have to pay when we read? Excuse me because I am who is new memeber and I don't know how to read.

Garrett Zecker Sreyda wrote: "We have to pay when we read? Excuse me because I am who is new memeber and I don't know how to read."

This book is copyrighted, and this site only sells SOME titles. I believe Amazon has an electronic version for sale, Sreyda.

message 5: by Impo (new) - added it

Impo traged Nice...!!

message 6: by Deepak (new)

Deepak Kumar enjoy Microsoft bro