Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Night Walker

Night Walker by Lisa Kessler

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: arcs, pararnormal-romance
Read from July 30 to 31, 2011, read count: 1

After a failed engagement, Kate has returned to her hometown to seek solace in her old friends and family-home. But it's only a few weeks before she meets Calisto - a sexy, mysterious stranger who sets her heart racing. Calisto is alluring and strangely familiar. But Kate hasn't healed from her broken heart and thinks it's too soon to try to love again.

Calisto can't believe it when he lays eyes on Kate. She is the reincarnation of Tala, his lost love... the reason he became an immortal. He has been waiting centuries for her return and will do anything to have her love again.

The story flips back and forth between the present day and the past. So not only do we get to see a relationship unfold between Calisto and Kate but we also see the horrific events that lead to their initial separation, Calisto's transformation into a Night Walker, and his quest for revenge.

The path to happiness isn't easy for Kate and Calisto. She has no idea of their past or what he is. Beyond that, there is a crazed monk, stalking them for his own gain. But despite the roadblocks, the love story is really quite lovely. There is something to be said for a hero with so much yearning and devotion. The story is very contained to a small cast of characters and it gives it a more intimate feel. And after so much loss, it seems criminal to have these two spend even one more minute apart.

The book has a definite resolution. But the door is left open on the idea that there may be more story to tell.

I enjoyed it. A little more than 4 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Walker.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Lisa Kessler Thanks so much for the review Jen!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

Lisa :)

message 3: by jD (new) - added it

jD Hey Jen -- I liked your review but, of course, I have two questions you should be familar with by now...what is the heat index and is he a vamp?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Yes, he is, though the world-building has its own take on it.

There is sex, but the focus is more on the love story. Don't get me wrong, it's not prudish --at all. But it pulls more on the heartstrings than the libido.

message 1: by jD (new) - added it

jD Thanks Jen. That's helpful. It's not a cheap one at $6 bucks on Kindle but it's within my 2012 ebook budget for new vampire series. I will move it up my list based on your review and several others.