Lauren 's Reviews > World Without Fish

World Without  Fish by Mark Kurlansky

1291915
Dec 31, 2015

bookshelves: environment, graphic-sequential-art, ya, science, oceans
Read on August 07, 2011

This book popped up on the "New" shelf at the library and I was surprised that I had not heard anything about it. Targeted at young adults, it is a great springboard into biological sciences. Kurlansky writes in a sophisticated style that will be appreciated by teen readers. The book is heavily illustrated with intermittent "comics" following a ocean scientist and his daughter, but there is also quality science writing here. With Kurlansky's own background in commercial fishing, he brings an historical, economic and cultural side to conversation about ocean conservation. He discusses the history of commercial fishing and how inventions and practices like "trawling" got us to where we are today.

The book is a call to arms on protecting the oceans, and specifically practicing sustainable fishing. He clearly states that in 50 years, the oceans will look very different than they do today (like the title says a "world without fish").

This book would be a classroom hit with lots of details to cover and bring in larger scientific themes, and it would engage young adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without Fish.