Ana's Reviews > Becoming

Becoming by Raine Thomas

Jul 30, 2011

Read from August 02 to 07, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed Becoming and want to share with you just some of the reasons why you should read it.

First, let’s talk about the characters. They are vivid and easy to like. From the very beginning, Amber made me smile and I envy her ability to persevere. Even with the obstacles she’s experienced in life, she maintains the capacity for curiosity and a healthy amount of sarcastic humor. Then there’s Gabriel. He is the perfect southern gentleman…observant, caring and oh so polite. Ms. Thomas writes him in a very swoon-worthy way. And, unlike many other books, the secondary characters in Becoming are given the right amount of attention and care by the author so that the reader connects with, and cares about, them as well.

Secondly, the relationships in this story never seem forced. The book begins with existing bonds and new ones are developed throughout, especially as Amber discovers she has a family she knew nothing about. Of course, there’s a romance to consider here as well. Now, normally, I don’t like love that comes to fruition too quickly. In this case, however, the event may appear quick but, in reality, it is the culmination of much that has happened before the book even begins. Once I understood that, I jumped right in and willingly basked in the new relationship “glow”!

Finally, in this book Amber discovers she’s not entirely human and transitions to another plane. I know what you’re thinking…this is exactly the place where many books would rely on descriptions of worlds we’ve all read about before. However, this plane is written in such a creative way that it captures your imagination…which thrilled me as a reader. I was fascinated by this world (and the people who call it home) and happily experienced several “well…I didn’t see that one coming” moments.

I know there are those readers who do not appreciate when too much time is spent on details and feel it slows down a book. I did find that occasionally there was a bit too much description in some scenes. However, trust me when I say that this book would not be as intriguing without those details, especially those in the first half. So…don’t let that deter you….keep reading because what happens after the foundation is laid is the beginning of a wonderful adventure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming.