Ellie's Reviews > Why Me?

Why Me? by Sarah Burleton

Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: bio-memoir, mother-daughter, non-fiction, 2011ind-chal200bks
Read on July 30, 2011

Sarah Burleton's memoir Why Me? tells the story of her horrifically abusive childhood. Her mother's hatred of her is focused to the point of obsession and it seems a miracle that Burleton survived at all. That she has gone on to be a loving wife and mother is impressive and inspiring.

I found this book painful but compulsively readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Me?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye (new) - added it

Magdelanye Ellie, I've added both of her books to my tbr list.

Ellie Let me know how the other one is. I'm curious-if you like it, I'll probably end up getting it.

message 3: by Magdelanye (new) - added it

Magdelanye Ellie wrote: "Let me know how the other one is. I'm curious-if you like it, I'll probably end up getting it."
That may be a while...my tbr list is stretching around the block :)

Ellie I so understand!

message 5: by Magdelanye (new) - added it

Magdelanye Have noticed in me a tendency to avoid the topic, which wasnt always the case.
Understanding the Borderline Mother: Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationship Understanding the Borderline Mother  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann LawsonChristine Ann Lawson This book has been haunting me and I look at it periodically but I just dont feel I want to go there at the moment, having made my peace

Christy She authored "What It Is." I just found that on Kindle edition today. If I undersroof right, it is the rest of the story from Why Me.

Ellie Magdelanye wrote: "Have noticed in me a tendency to avoid the topic, which wasnt always the case.

I found
[book:Understanding the Borderline Mother: Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable, and Volatile Relationship
extremely painful but helpful. I've resisted buying it (have read it twice from the library) because I'm actually a little fearful of having it in my home. Also, I'd rather my children who never met their grandmother (who died before they were born) not see it.

So it's there Magdelanye whenever you feel like you want to.

Also, I found it more painful than actually helpful. At least for me.

message 8: by Magdelanye (new) - added it

Magdelanye This is interesting, I too have a rather covert relationship with this book. The fact is that I let my son have it, and he is finding it explaining all sorts of things. He who was adored and spoiled by my mother has a hard time grasping the extent of her abuse to me as I was growing up under her Orthodox regime.

But my son is much older and lost to me in his own world