Harris's Reviews > 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die

1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by Tony Mott

Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: library-book, 1001-blanks-series, lists
Read in July, 2011

Another of Universe's “1001 blanks you must blank before you die” titles, 1001 Video Games to Play Before You Die is an interesting, if debatable, exploration of the last 40 years or so of video gaming, from roughly 1970 to early 2010. Sure to spark conversation among people knowledgeable about video games, the work is less useful as an introduction to the topic. While many of the titles chosen by the compilers are great games and evocative of the trends and evolutions of the technology, some are obscure to say the least, a few being only published in Japan, which can make getting a hold of them a bit difficult. This is particularly true with the earlier titles. Still, 1001 Video Games can provide the reader with some nostalgic discussions and recollections of favorite games and recommendations for others that they might have missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die.

message 1: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie So ... are you gonna attempt to play all of these? :p

Harris Probably not, though I was surprised at how many I had actually played already.

Lucus When you say "last 40 years or so of video gaming", it seems like there was video gaming before, which there wasn't. Oh sure, there was Tennis for Two, but it wasn't until 1970 when it became commercial.

Harris Thanks for the comment! I guess it would be more precise to say "exploration of the 40 year history of video gaming" though I didn't mean to imply that video games were older than that!