Marcus Lynn's Reviews > 66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You into His Story

66 Love Letters by Larry Crabb

Jul 30, 2011

bookshelves: discipleship

“66 Love Letters” is an intensely personal and moving book that admirably showed God’s scope of love for His creation, namely us.

When I heard that “66 Love Letters” by Larry Crabb covered all 66 books of the Bible, I assumed it was a “survey” of the Bible. I expected a “walk through the Bible,” with all the salient facts and information about authorship and book outlines. I was wrong! And I’m glad I was.

Instead Crabb interacted with each book of the Bible using a dialogue with God. And that’s a dangerous thing. Dangerous because Crabb presumes to speak for God. Of course, many others in the Christian tradition have tried this tactic with varying levels of success. I think Crabb scores well because he doesn’t place any words in God’s mouth that contradict God’s known Word. What I particularly like is how Crabb wrestles with God in conversation. There aren’t any “easy things” being said. And Crabb argues with God at times making it REAL! My only criticism is that sometimes what God has to say is trite, almost formulaic.

If you’re looking for a book to make you think, and wrestle with God, this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 66 Love Letters.