Elyse's Reviews > Roma

May 14, 08

bookshelves: fiction, historical
Read in May, 2008

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roma.

message 1: by Chuck (last edited Apr 02, 2008 10:18AM) (new)

Chuck Hi,
I got the book you are reading now as soon as it came out. Spoiler Alert.... Rome loses to the Barbarians.......
I have all his Roman mysteries here at the house, unless I gave them to you. His detective is Gordianus the Finder. The series is "Roma Sub Rosa" consisting of Roman Blood, The House of Vestals, Arms of Nemesis, Catalina's Riddle, The Venus Throw,
A Murder on the Appian Way and Rubicon, Last Seen in Massilia
is the last in that particular series. These are set circa
25-49 BCE. The Lindsey Davis, Marcus Didius Falco mysteries are set about 100 years later. I read both authors for really
good historical place and cultural description. But Davis has a quirkyness about her Marcus Didius Falso that keeps me coming back for history and laughs.
Moogy

Elyse Lori actually gave me this book to read, I can't wait to really dig into it. I've been overcome by the writing bug again so I'm not devouring books with my regular zeal...but I am excited about this one. Let me know which ones Lindsey Davis did, because I think Lori would love those.

Ha ha ha "spoiler alert" right! Next you're going to tell me Julius Cesar gets killed.
~Boom

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Beware the Ides of March.. If I told him that once, I told him a thousand times. But would he listen?
Lindsay Davis...Start with "the Silver Pigs" because as in Saylor
the tales are historically progressive. Then Shadows in Bronze, Venus in Copper, the iron hand of Mars, Poseiden's Gold, Last act in Palmyra, Time to depart, A dying light in corduba, Three hands in the fountain, Two for the Lions, One Virgin too many (you bought me that one for Xmas one year), Ode to a Banker, A Body in the Bathhouse, The Jupiter Myth, The Accusers, Scandal takes a Holiday, See Delphi and Die, and the latest; Saturnalia.
A lot of them are in paperback but she is getting so popular the last thing I heard was that she is being republished in Trade.
Love,
Moogy

Elyse Wonderful...she'll love that! Thank you.

message 5: by Chuck (last edited May 16, 2008 05:06PM) (new)

Chuck There is a new Gordianus the finder. So I have to get it.
It is so funny, who thought I could get caught up in Tuesday Next, Didius Falco and McCall's wonderful lady detective in Botswana. NOT TO MENTION PRATCHETT.
I mean why should I care about all these fictional characters when my true love is historical biography.
You see, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. But it is also a
fun change from the creators of transcendentalism. I'm reading "The Most Famous Man in the World" bio of Henry Ward Beecher.
One can take just so much of Thoreau and Emerson. Beecher has a bit of the letch in him which is almost as fun as Didius Falco.
MOOGY

Elyse Fiction or Non escaping into someone else's life, someone else's mind can be exhilarating. I think whatever the format you have wonderful taste!