Julia's Reviews > Dark Parties

Jul 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia, science-fiction
Read on July 30, 2011

I'm very torn with this book. My real rating is a 3.5 (not a 3): the plot line was great and I loved the idea of the "protectosphere" and all of the secrets that flourished in it. I think, overall, Sara Grant had a good idea, and ran with it, but didn't go back and add all the things that would have made it great.

There were several things that I didn't like, which drew me away from the enjoyment of the story:

(1) I did not like 2 out of four of the main characters (and I only really did like one of them, the other one was iffy). The main character, Neva, drove me insane with her selfish and simply poor decisions and attitude. Her personality was a little all over the place and I felt like she was difficult to connect to. I also wasn't a huge fan of Sanna, mostly because she had little depth and was also very wavering with her personality and was more like a shell of a person than a real person (and she did this really annoying "a-maz-ing" thing all the time). Ethan I was impartial to, but I did like the character of Braydon, who seeemd to have a lot more depth lurking behind him (although I didn't really like him until the end).

(2) I felt like some of the actions of the main characters were simply there to forward the plot; some of them came out of nowhere and it felt like there was very little flow and it was more a bunch of chopped actions strung together to get from point A to point B.

(3) As I said, I did really love the world and the plot line. I felt that, however, this was all burred underneath a lot of pointless drama between the two female characters. I think that the author could have gone much deeper with the description of the world, and not spend so much time on the arguments that insecurities that constantly flooded the characters, because these arguments left both the world and the characters depth-less.

That being said, I did like the book, I just didn't love it. I wanted to escape into the story but I had trouble, until the end. I loved the last few chapters (despite some additional anger towards the main character's ignorance) and it did really make me want to know more. I'm not sure if there is a second book coming out, but if there is, I will probably read it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Parties.