Naiya's Reviews > Raven's Shadow

Raven's Shadow by Patricia Briggs

Jul 30, 11

Read from July 17 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

Raven's Shadow takes a different, epic approach to fantasy, following characters over the course of years. Seraph is a Raven mage, one of the few who are born to fight against the dark remnants of an apocalypse long ago. Instead, she falls in love with Tier, a soldier, and settles down--something unheard of among her ("Traveler") kin. But when, years later, Tier is killed, Seraph is forced to face what she is to protect her children.

Though Raven's Shadow is also told in third person, the narrative keeps an aloof distance more befitting the epic scope it tries to encompass. That lead to the major difficulty I had with the piece. The entire first half of the novel plodded. If not for late night inertia and a general reluctance to waste the wee hours of the morning on sleep, I might have stopped reading. Somewhere around that halfway mark, the story picks up, promising all sorts of good things for the sequel.

If you enjoy paced epic fantasy where the characters are already comfortable in their skin and are forced to take up arms once again against evil (no rest for the virtuous), this is your book.

Read the first part of my rundown of Patricia Briggs various series here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raven's Shadow.