Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > Dreaming of You

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: kindle-or-ebook, romance-historical, hr-regency, 2011-july, snarky-troll-lives-here
Recommended to Tammy by: Every romance reader on GR
Read from July 30 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy

This is going to be another review where I apologize to every GR friend who loves this book. I'm sorry guys, I just didn't. I tried - I really did!

I didn't connect with either Derek or Sara, I didn't care for the story, and found myself skipping the love scenes. SKIPPING THE LOVE SCENES, folks. (That doesn't happen very often, I'm a bit of a dirty girl.)

The whole book was meh for me, and frankly some parts made me uncomfortable. I dunno what it was, but it was like my brain shied away as soon as the mushy-gushy stuff started happening.

This has been the third Lisa Kleypas I've read in the past month. The more I read (especially this one) the more she reminds me of Judith McNaught. The caveat is: McNaught's writing is lusher, with more historical detail, with more angst in her stories and emotional depth in her characters. Of course, I say angst, someone else says overwrought and OTT; tomato, tomahto, lol.

This story felt forced to me, shallow and contrived at times. I didn't feel like Derek Craven could carry a book on his own, and Sara - well, she bored the shit out of me. I found it to be soooooooo romantic and sweet that it was cloying and almost OTT. It reminded me of when I was little and used to make up love stories for my Barbie and Ken dolls.

(Just so you know, I haven't forgotten my comparison to McNaught. She, too, could be accused of being OTT romantic, especially with her Heroes and the impassioned declarations of love they make in her books, but for some reason she works for me, where Kleypas just didn't with this one.)

I had just read Then Came You, where we are introduced to Derek Craven because of his friendship with Lily Lawson. The Craven we meet in that book was interesting, if very rough around the edges. The Derek Craven we meet in his own book, although it starts out well enough (right down to his cut-with-a-knife Cockney accent) it all went downhill for me after the first couple of chapters.

And through the whole book, I continually asked myself this question: What the hell happened to his accent?

2 stars.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming of You.

Nikki YESSSSS!!!

Tammy Walton Grant LOL! I'll post updates so you can watch me fall in love with Derek, ;D

Nikki Hurrah!

message 4: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Tammy...This was a great review and I am so disappointed that you didn't LOVE one of my all time favorite romances!!! I do know how that goes sometimes with books and they don't always "hit" us the same way. Hopefully, the next book you read will be a better one!

Nikki Aww Tammy! It sucks that you didn't enjoy it... maybe we all lifted your expectations too high? I understand how you feel though, sometimes I feel bad cos I don't get the same positive reaction out of a book that a GR friend might, but that's what makes things interesting around here. :)

Better luck with your next book!

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Ally, hi Nikki! I feel TERRIBLE! I just didn't care for it at all. I knew I was in trouble when I didn't care for him much in Then Came You, but I hoped it would get better.

I think it was probably a combination of the characters just not being for me, and the fact that it is so universally loved. I tend to be a bit contrary, lol.

I liked Then Came You much, much better.

message 7: by Karla (last edited Aug 02, 2011 08:37AM) (new)

Karla I tend to be contrary myself. LOL *cough*Anne Stuart*cough*

But I haven't read Kleypas yet, so I'm real curious now. If I do read any of her books, it'll be the long OP bodice-ripping dirty secrets of hers, and the series that takes place in the theater world since those interest me more than regular Regency rakes and whatevers. Just the NAME of the series "Wallflowers" makes me want to run the other way, screaming.

message 8: by Ally72 (last edited Aug 02, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Ally72 Hugs Tammy! I was trying to think of something funny to say when I first made my comment about our not being able to be friends since you didn't like this book, but I didn't know how to do it in an email without you thinking I really meant it!!! LOL! I know I have to be in the right mood to read certain books and Mary Balogh is an author for me that I am still trying to really like since all of my goodreads friends love her. It is just hard sometimes and there is nothing wrong with being contrary.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide Ally: It's funny you say that because I feel the same exact way about Mary Balogh. So many of my Goodread friends highly recommend her but I just don't see it. You know I love LK so it's hard to realize some people don't worship her like we do, LOL.

message 10: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 It is good to know that I am not the only one, Jessa! I still haven't given up on Balogh, but that might be an author that is never a favorite for me.

Tammy Walton Grant Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I tend to be contrary myself. LOL *cough*Anne Stuart*cough*"

You don't say, LOL. That's what I love most about you. ;D

I'm kinda interested in those early OOP ones too. I'm going to PM you.

Tammy Walton Grant Ally wrote: "...there is nothing wrong with being contrary. "

Haha! It's all part of my charm, I guess. ;D

I've read Mary Balogh as well, and while I can see why so many people love her, I can also see why some wouldn't.

message 13: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 You are sweet to say that, Tammy! I am still going to keep trying her because I know she has such a huge following!!!

Tammy Walton Grant I remember thinking when I read More Than a Mistress that I absolutely LOVED the first 2/3 of it, and it sort of petered away after that.

Come to think of it, I think I thought that about Slightly Married, too, but it's not enough to stop me from reading her.

Does that make sense?

message 15: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 LOL...It totally makes sense and those two books were the ones I wanted to try next!!!

Tammy Walton Grant I would recommend More than a Mistress, Ally -- for the first 2/3 it was a solid 5 star, "holy cow I can't believe how good this is" read for me. Slightly Married was quite good as well.

One of my other GR friends said of MB's style that it was "quiet". I think that must be a good description, as with Slightly Married I liked it even more after I was finished it and thought about it a few days later.

message 17: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks Tammy for the information. I think what you said about her writing will be good to remember when I am reading her!

Carol Storm Great review Tammy!

I didn't think DREAMING OF YOU was bad, exactly -- but I would agree that Derek is far more powerful (and untamed) when he's a minor character in THEN CAME YOU. That's one of the main limits of the genre itself, I think -- a lot of heroes (and heroines) are more bewitching and attractive when they AREN'T in love. Once they fall the author makes them turn "nice" in a hurry.

(Lisa Kleypas loves this. SEE the rake tamed by love. SEE Sebastian St. Vincent go from a dashing would-be rapist in IT HAPPENED ONE AUTUMN to a softly whimpering snuggle-pup in DEVIL IN WINTER.)

Tammy Walton Grant Lily wrote: "Great review Tammy!

Thanks, Lily! You know, this book probably wasn't actually all that bad, but something about it sure rubbed me wrong. (And I know from past experience that when something rubs me wrong, it rubs me hard, lol.)

I hate it when authors do this -- go from a dashing would-be rapist in IT HAPPENED ONE AUTUMN to a softly whimpering snuggle-pup. It feels like a cheat, somehow. Does that makes sense?

Sanya I'm with you Tammy. I feel this could've been a good little romance story, but it failed to deliver. I thought it was forced, the story didn't flow and the characters felt unreal. This is my second L.Kleypas and the last. I tried. Twice :/

Tammy Walton Grant Oh, thank God, Sanya. I thought I was the only one who didn't care much for her. What was the other Kleypas you read?

message 22: by Sanya (last edited May 26, 2012 12:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sanya It was Devil in Winter. There's something fake in her books and I can't shake it off. I don't know what it is; just like she puts all the perfect ingredients together but the cake is not so good...

Tammy Walton Grant EXACTLY!!! Oh, you put that so well. It's the same reason I can't read too many Judith McNaught's back-to-back; she's the same way for me.

I've never read DiW, don't think I ever will.

message 24: by Sanya (last edited May 27, 2012 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sanya I'm not sure about McNaught, I read only Paradise and I can't remember it well. I only remember it was looooong and of course it drags, but she's better than Kleypas.
5 stars fly around so easily here on GR...

message 25: by Karla (new)

Karla Sanya wrote: "5 stars fly around so easily here on GR..."

Yeah, I've learned to be real skeptical. Kleypas, Kinsale, Lord Ruin, and Lord of Scoundrels - all on my "super-cautious optimism/probably overrated" list. Well, I've already read a Kinsale and hated it, but it wasn't the "right" one to read, I've been told. It never is. Author is brilliant and awesome, but I always choose the wrong one to read, according to the fans. LOL

message 26: by Sanya (last edited May 27, 2012 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sanya LOL, Karla! That's why I've read two books to be sure...but really I was sure after the first 100 pages. It's only that I hated to be always the one who didn't go with the flow.

Angie Elle You put this into words perfectly. This is one of those books that I don't 'get.' It makes me feel like there's something wrong with me, because so many people love it!

Nice review.