Isadora's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

F 50x66
Jul 30, 11

Tom Rachman perfectly exhibits the imagined grandeur versus the reality of the journalistic field in the "The Imperfectionists". At times, I could not get enough of the senseless characters in this novel; at some moments, they ate at my nerves. This is part of the brilliance of Rachman’s first manuscript: a blend of ambitious, neurotic, and second-rate characters intended to earn the readers’ deepest sympathies.

Like every talented journalist, Rachman hooks readers by creating curiosity. Each chapter is cleverly organized as a headline making readers crave to uncover the next vital nuggets of the plot. Rachman also has two stories flowing in tandem to account for the factors that led to demise of his field. I couldn’t wait to see how these two realities would merge to answer all my unanswered questions… Mainly, why was this paper founded?

Throughout the novel, I felt that this should have been a script for a TV series portraying the long- lost era of the newspaper media because of certain loose ends in the plot. Ironically, my displeasure reminded me that no story is truly completed -- or perfect.

Finally, the end conversation between Tom Rachman and Malcolm Gladwell was intellectually entertaining and insightful because these two journalists are both used to asking the tough questions instead of answering them. It is amazing that they got to finishing line of their co-interview. Truly génial!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.