Manny's Reviews > The Witches

liked it
bookshelves: children, well-i-think-its-funny
Read in January, 1995

Headlands Hotel

For people who don't already know: the hotel used in the movie actually exists. It's The Headlands Hotel, Newquay, England, and I've eaten there several times.

The staff are friendly and well aware of the relevant history. If you ask, they'll show you the room where the witches had their big meeting and the spot where the baby carriage nearly gets pushed off the cliff. The food is good, and you get a fantastic view over the bay, where people surf in summer. Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches.

02/23/2016 marked as: read

Kat Kennedy Are you taking up hotel reviewing now, Manny?

message 2: by Manny (last edited Jul 30, 2011 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manny Kat wrote: "Are you taking up hotel reviewing now, Manny?"

This is probably a one-off :) I was just so surprised the first time I saw the Headlands. There I was, thinking it looked remarkably like the Witches' Hotel, as the kids called it - they love the movie... and someone told me it actually WAS the Witches' Hotel!

People who haven't visited Cornwall don't seem to have heard of it, so I figured I would spread the word.

message 3: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn Did you read the book?

Manny Gobnait wrote: "Did you read the book?"

I'm not sure! I think I did, but I've seen the movie so many times that it's kind of erased it from my memory.

message 5: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn Is your three star rating for the book, the hotel, or the movie? :)

Manny Gobnait wrote: "Is your three star rating for the book, the hotel, or the movie? :)"

Ah... I think for the book and the movie. The hotel definitely gets at least four.

message 7: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn Thank you.

Laiba A childhood favourite, and the movie is just as good as the book.

ellie higgin I like it

Manny Thank you Chloe! I see you're British... are you close enough to be able to pay them a visit?

Poppingcandy lover 28 I just watched it

Poppingcandy lover 28 Hi there i will read some more books later anyone now the book the wolf princess

Poppingcandy lover 28 What was that