Rachel's Reviews > The Book of Awesome

The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: library-check-out
Recommended for: people who appreciate the little things
Read from July 29 to 30, 2011

Of course, the opposite of awesome is un-awesome – which is exactly what it feels like when you have to wait forever in line because there is no other checker to open a new lane or you get a speeding ticket from the cop who was on the side of the road or you hit a bunch of red lights in a row (I always get to about the third and say, out loud in my car, “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!”) or when your alarm clock blares and you feel like it is way too early for the alarm clock to go off or when you meant to get gas on Monday, but you forgot and went to fill up on Tuesday and the price has increased.

You have these moments when your blood starts to boil and you think, “THIS CAN’T BE REAL.” Surely that lady isn’t going to search for the $.50 coupon for the $150.00 worth of stuff she is buying. Surely when you take a shower at your friend’s house they will have shampoo AND conditioner and not just shampoo. Surely I can press “one” before the automated operator finishes her speech about staying on the line for more options. Surely I will remember where my keys are (and my glasses, and my name badge, and my favorite travel coffee mug) so I don’t have to hunt for them.

The best thing about this book is that WAY too often we remember when things are UN-AWESOME. It isn’t often that we take a moment to revel in the fact that damn right I peeled my orange in one fell swoop. Or think “you are welcome, guy-who-thanked-me-with-a-wave-since-I-let-him-in-my-lane.” It was nice to read this book, or check the website 1000awesomethings.com because while reading each entry (or most entries – I couldn’t share the appreciation of the perfect cereal:milk ratio since I don’t like milk at all), you think, “ahh yes, I do enjoy the other side of the pillow.”

And now when these things happen, I won’t grouchily think, “THANK GOODNESS THEY FINALLY REALIZED THAT THERE ARE A BILLION PEOPLE IN LINE AND FINALLY PULLED THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR BUTTS AND OPENED ANOTHER ONE! GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.” Instead, I will think, “Awesome!” with a smile on my face!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Awesome.