Robert Selzler's Reviews > All Flesh Is Grass: The Pleasures and Promises of Pasture Farming

All Flesh Is Grass by Gene Logsdon

M 50x66
Jul 30, 2011

bookshelves: sustainability

Gene Logsdon is my hero. I feel a kinship to him because he, like me, is a contrary bastard; he readily admits as much. Most homestead books are marketed to the yuppie greenies, but Mr. Logsdon takes a realistic view of self-sufficiency and calls crap crap. In this book he mentions a familiarity with Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms, which just reinforces my love for this amazing technical writer. This book, like the others of his I have read--his "skills" book being the possible exception-follows a pattern where mr. Logsdon basically just writes what he has done, what has worked, and what hasn't. he doesn't posture to know things that he has no experience with, and tells the reader exactly when he is theorizing or guessing. Also, he provides rough estimates of his past successes or failures in statistical format, which most of the homestead books do not; my theory is that the authors of most of the others have about as much expereince as me, your common schmuck, which is to say little.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Flesh Is Grass.