Henrik's Reviews > The Raw Shark Texts

The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

Jun 29, 08

bookshelves: magic-realism, philosophy, science-fiction, thriller
Recommended to Henrik by: Amazon.com newsletter
Recommended for: people who are interested in "literary" experiments with a story
Read in June, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Conceptual sharks, literally drowning in a vortex of concepts suddenly appearing in a confined room, a frantic battle for the Self & precious memories already slipping away for good, a whole living place (house? Apartment? Who knows?) made up of paper and words. An off-hand mentioning of Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu" one single time (and without giving away why it's mentioned--but I think I got it; very clever of the author). Letters from yourself in the past trying to help you in the totally unknown present & future. Shadows of a terrible tragic and romance--perhaps the key to understanding it all in the end?

What's not to like?:-D This novel is without question an oddball, but of the most exquisite kind, if you ask me. Besides the wonderful writing and play with words in there, the "illustrations" are also of fascination, as is the empty spaces... Or is that the unSpaces?

I won't say it's a perfect novel--not everything makes the sense I suppose it is meant to--but that doesn't matter. It's a great read, with great thoughts, ideas, images, characters--and a talent for writing that is rare. That's good enough for me:-)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raw Shark Texts.

Christina This really sounds like an interesting book - I think I'll have to pick this one up, or maybe borrow yours? ;-)

Henrik Hehe. You're welcome to borrow it:-)

Donald Alrighty Henrik,
I'm in. Your review intrigued me enough that I have a copy and am just starting to read it.

Henrik Donald, I am glad that my review intrigued you:-) Let me know what you think of the book when you're done with it, mm?