Beth's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

Aug 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing, fiction-general, fantasy-or-science-fiction
Read from July 30 to August 08, 2011

I’m still trying to figure out if I liked this book or not. I certainly liked aspects of it, but not the entire thing as a whole.

First, this book is big. Big books themselves don’t scare me. In fact, I quite enjoy them, if the story pulls me in and thrills me, or engrosses me, or makes me want to just keep reading into the wee hours of the night. Unfortunately, this book didn’t do that. Instead, I read and read and read – and then took a peek and realized I’d hardly made a dent, and worse, that I didn’t feel all that satisfied for all that time spent .

Don’t get me wrong, the story is interesting and creative – but there are WAY too many characters, and it annoyed me that some of them had totally made up bizarre names that were hard to remember or pronounce. I found that I couldn’t keep track of half of the characters, and it was too much of a chore to keep skipping to the appendix in the back to figure out who’s who. Along with too many characters, there was also too much narrative. I found myself skimming in some parts, trying to find the dialogue that mattered. I only actually liked a small number of the characters, and was really irritated when two of them were killed off toward the end. Now, I know that’s bound to happen in a medieval story, but it doesn’t mean it still didn’t tick me off.

Another big irritation is the fact that after trudging through 800+ pages, nothing was really resolved. In fact, more questions arose than were answered. I guess I should’ve expected that, for a multi-book saga like this, but again, it still irritated me. I just don’t know if I have the stamina to read the next book in the series to find out what happens. Honestly, I’ll be more likely to just watch the second season of the series on HBO. I admit that I watched the episodes of season one along with reading the book, because it helped me sort out who the characters were. Also, the show was much more interesting, as it left out all the meaningless narrative and had beautiful sets and scenery (and who doesn’t love Sean Bean? ;).

I think maybe some of the problem is that I’m just not that into the fantasy genre. I thought I would enjoy it, as I do love stories set in the medieval times and I enjoy fictitious creatures such as vampires and werewolves (which weren’t really in this story, even though it was alluded to) – but some of it was too much, even for me, especially the part about a dragon hatchling suckling from a human woman’s breast. WTH? That’s just stupid.

I think this book would’ve been better, for me, if it was half the size, with half the characters, and half as many plots, schemes, scandals and murders. For me, it was more of a chore than an escape – and when it’s all said and done, that’s what I’m looking for in a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

08/03/2011 page 109
08/07/2011 page 359
43.0% "Going slow ... Long book, too many characters, but very good nonetheless."
show 1 hidden update…