Brandy's Reviews > Three Weeks With My Brother

Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks

Apr 02, 08

bookshelves: highly-recommended, memoir
Recommended for: everyone

** spoiler alert ** The more memoirs I read, the more I realize that I really like that genre. This book was excellent and not what I expected. By the title, I anticipated I would be reading about the time he spent with his brother and the bonds they developed. Well, it was that but so much more. It is basically about his whole life and all the trials and good times that he faced. What I also didn't expect was to connect with the book so much, not because I had the same events happen in my life, but he is able to write about feelings that are so relatable. One particular thing that he experienced in his life hit home with me and that is what put this book at such a high rating for me. It was amazing to read his emotions and think I was reading from my own journal. Not only will you get a bit of a lesson on different sights from around the world (which is the trip he and his brother went on) but you will get a peek into his life and give you a greater respect for him as a person. Maybe you might even learn a little about yourself in the process.

I just have to add some more thoughts I have on this book. In doing so, I am going to give some spoilers. The part that I connected to the most was the part about his son Ryan. His son is very delayed in his development. We are experiencing some of the same things with our daughter Becca. One thing that made me very sad was when Nicholas Sparks talked about how many people ignored his son or tried to avoid him because they didn't know how to act around him. As I have gone through the day today having just finished the book last night, I have realized that of all the other worries I have about Becca, having people treat her well has never been a concern for me. I am so grateful that almost everyone who has come in contact with Becca has instantly fallen in love with her. I truly think it has been a positive influence in her life. I am sure that the positive attention she recieves helps her to feel more confident in a world that is so big and scary. So to all those who know Becca, thank you for your love and kindness toward her!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Weeks With My Brother.