Raina's Reviews > The Wee Free Men

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: funny, ya
Read from July 30 to September 06, 2011

This is my first Terry Pratchett. ::pause for collective gasp::

And I liked it. It was a good choice for an audiobook, because I didn't feel a need to pay much attention to the plot. This book's appeal, to me, is the language. Pratchett is clever and witty, and snippets of dialogue are funny all alone. I didn't feel particularly invested in the characters, and never got a completely clear picture of what the world was supposed to look like (the flowery pants with lace threw me for a loop). I liked all the smart witch jokes, and how he never completely hit anything on the nose - there's inference in his humor and you have to think to get a lot of things. There are obvious narrative connections with my hero, Neil Gaiman, but this has a bit more rounded edges than my boy.

Worth recommending and good for sporadic listening, but I don't feel an immediate need to rush out and finish Discworld.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samrat (new)

Samrat I've always been told I'd love Pratchett. This year, I thought I'd start Discworld at the first book, but I had a similar inability to visualize the world and got confused. I was later told that his writing got better and I should have picked something later. I may try again some day.

Raina I've been saving Good Omens (the book that he and Neil wrote together), figuring that once I'd gotten a taste of Pratchett, I wouldn't be able to resist. We'll see how long I last.

message 3: by Samrat (new)

Samrat I know it's geek-blasphemy, but I don't love Gaiman. I got majorly stuck on American Gods, liking the beauty of the imagery, but finding it painfully slow to read, let alone understand what was going on. I did adore The Graveyard Book and like Coraline the movie. I'll try him again, but I need to work up to it.

Raina Yeah, try again. American Gods was my least favorite of his books, even though people talk like it's his masterpiece. Try Neverwhere (urban fantasy) or Stardust (fairytale).

message 5: by Samrat (new)

Samrat If my main criticism is that I don't understand what's going on all the time and the actual stuff-happening is too long in coming, which should I start with of those two?

Raina Hmmmm... I'm gonna say Stardust. Although there is a little more setup than you might like, it's very easy to follow - and very reminiscent of Princess Bride in some ways. Neverwhere might start a little quicker, but it's a little more convoluted of a plot.

message 7: by Samrat (new)

Samrat Thank you! Stardust is totally working for me right now. Adding Princess Bride to my list...

Raina Wow, you're fast.

And... YOU HAVEN'T READ PRINCESS BRIDE???!?!?!?!?! ;)

message 9: by Samrat (new)

Samrat Ebook magic.

I know. It's terrible. And I lurved the movie. I'm looking for the book right now. :D

message 10: by Samrat (new)

Samrat Oh, I really liked Nation by Pratchett, too.