Franco's Reviews > A Case of Need

A Case of Need by Jeffery Hudson

M 50x66
Apr 03, 08

Read in April, 2008

This book would be classified under, “Medical Fiction” because it deals with medical surgeons, and doctors trying to unravel the mystery of the murder or suicide of Karen Randall. Dr. Lee a young pathologist is accused of an illegal abortion. Art Lee’s lawyer didn’t want to deal with the case so he abandoned him with no help. When John Berry heard about this crisis he came to help his friend and try to find the real story of the death of Karen Randall. As he finds later in the novel, the history of Karen he starts to get more into what he is against, because he found out that Karen disliked her stepmother and father, and that shows a small sign of murder from either one. Then as he goes to the University of Boston College, he meets doctor Werner who holds all of Karen’s medical files and this man is Karen’s uncle. Peter Randall (Karen’s dad) brings him for a “cup of tea” and says that he would not do this to his own girl and that he was with his wife that very same day the death occurred. John asks Peter were he could find her lost boyfriend and when he found him there is a gang war and he gets severely injured and in that very hospital room is Karen’s roommate with what they think a suicide attempt, he later goes to the crime scene, and there is a missing theme to Karen’s death.
I thought the writing of this book was very precise and wordy. He made the reader always on your toes and waiting for the suspense. I thought the strengths were that it was well written and well thought out however there was a weakness. This book was to long was 416 pages, and I thought that was to long for a plot like this and he extended it way to long. I choose this book because I am a huge fan of Michael Crichton’s novels and I wanted to explore something other than genetics.
I would compare this book to the Five Patients another one of Michael Crichton’s best sellers because of the medical theme. I connected to this book around the middle because, the Randall family was getting very suspicious and I thought it was the step mother that killed Karen. I would recommend this book to people that are interested in medical mysteries.
Words: 300
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Case of Need.

message 1: by Declan (new)

Declan that is a very good summary
i think i might want to read this book
you made a good summary that is easy to understand

nice menks

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That was a really great summary. I like books that make you want to keep reading so I may have to try this one.

Good job!

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin nice review!

Ashley T Nice summary, but Dr. Art Lee is actually an obstetrician, not a pathologist. Dr. John Berry is the pathologist, along with several other characters mentioned in the novel.