Loren's Reviews > The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World

The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau

Jul 30, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: game-theory
Read from July 30 to September 19, 2011

Guillebeau is quick to tell you his expectations for his readers; that you be open-minded and willing to challenge authority, that sort of thing. But you have to read 40 pages in before he adds what he thinks is an unlikely group to even lay their hands on his book, the poor, as if to say that simply being an American omits you from that category. He writes "I realize that there are plenty of people out there who are not able to travel or make the same choices I can. Having lived in the poorest countries in the world for four years, I know many of them personally. Most of the people I interact with now, however, as well as most readers of this book, don't fit into that category...... they 'wish' they could do something but feel unable... They have chosen to prioritize other things above their stated desire."

150 million people live in poverty in America according to the last census. And what I mean by poverty, I mean unfit shelter, not enough food, too little or no income. I guess none of them read?

The problem lies not in our inability to be individuals and refuse to conform, the issue of our generation is in the growing economic apartheid that has taken root in our nation. Guillebeau doesn't honestly want you to become more open-minded and willing to challenge authority because the result of such action may inevitably lead you into a progression of your analytical thinking that you will never be able to ignore again.

"The greatest enemies of mankind are the same as they have been for at least two millennia: Wealth and poverty, followed by abrahamic religion. Some say government, and to a certain extent I agree, but what gives the government power over the masses? Corruption and power through wealthy influence, and abrahamic religion to buy our minds." Chad P. Morrison
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Non-Conformity.