Katie's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, audio-and-paper
Read from August 01 to 04, 2011

Blood Red Road was an outstanding example of creating a character driven book. Saba the heroine lives in Silver Lake with her father, twin brother and little sister Emmi. When her father is killed by 4 men who take her brother, immature, self absorbed Saba takes off after them, determined to get her brother back.

This story is about Saba and her quest across barren, unfamiliar lands to get her beloved brother back. Saba is a not so likable 18 year old girl when the story opens. She really doesn't care about anyone other than herself and her beloved twin brother. She most definitely doesn't care about her 9 year old sister who is nothing but a burden to her and competition for her brother Lugh's attention. Saba's growth throughout this story was perfectly orchestrated. She went from an annoying, mean (to her little sister), selfish girl to a strong, loving and honorable woman. All the while the pieces put together just right so the reader wouldn't miss out on any part of Saba's adventure or transformation.

Blood Red Road was filed with everything I look for in a book... Action, adventure, great characters and even a little romance thrown in, just enough to satisfy my need for a little sweetness.

I loved it and will anxiously await the next one in this series. Highly recommended.

*** Just to mention one thing. I had both the audio and the paper version of this book. For the most part I listened to the audio. The writing style takes a bit to get used to and though it may be easily understood and tolerated by one reader, it may not be for everyone. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.