Carole LoConte Tedesco's Reviews > The Night of the Gun

The Night of the Gun by David Carr

Jul 30, 11

I read this after reading the excerpt in The NY Times Magazine, and feeling frustrated by a number of questions left unanswered by the excerpt.

Carr writes well, and I found the narrative to be compelling, but at times frustrating. Some of his reporting on his years of drug abuse seemed to have an almost bragging tone (as in "can you believe that I actually did this!"), despite the overall tone of regret for his years spent in "The Life."

Toward the end of the book, I found myself mystified and even angered by Carr's decision, or rather, non-decision, to slip back into alcohol abuse after 14 years of sobriety. I hope that he's done now, and that he finds his relationships with his wife and children a strong enough pull to keep him sober going forward.

All in all, a brave effort to uncover the objective truth, whatever that truth may be, about his past. I think I discovered that for my own reasons, the addiction memoir genre is probably not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night of the Gun.