Scott Reighard's Reviews > The English Assassin

The English Assassin by Daniel Silva

5919423
Oct 08, 11

Read in September, 2011

Some of my friends mentioned Daniel Silva, so I thought I'd give him a shot with The English Assassin. The title had a certain ring to it.

I would say my thoughts on this are mixed. As far as the plot goes, very compelling, but to me, there was a lot going on and so the story seemed to jump around. I am okay with jumping around from place to place, but timeline wise, I got lost and there were several chapters that went by before one chapter that introduced something was resolved, hence the timeline issues I had with it. I am sure it was just me.

Another knock I have about some of these stories is that the characters, despite being fictional, were almost Jedi/Ninja types. These characters float around in novels too readily, and it just seems that some of these writers try to outdo one another on their main characters ability. It's almost Marvel Comic like. "He killed four men within three seconds, and was as calm as the morning lake." Stuff like that.

Finally, the last knock, the story seems a bit long. I thought that many pages could have been taken out. I am not an editor, but I got bogged down sometimes in areas where I wanted the story to just move along.

As always, I give an author two chances, so I will pick up another Silva novel, just not sure which one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English Assassin.