Kristina's Reviews > The Mercy of Thin Air

The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue

Jul 30, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I waited a few days after finishing this book to write a review. I raced through it, but when I came to the end, I just wasn't sure what I thought of it. Having had time to reflect, I did like it. I just keep wishing I could stop time and prevent the accident from happening. I couldn't stop imagining what Razi's life would have been like had she not died.

The story jumps between Razi's current experiences watching Amy, Scott, and her old friends and flashbacks to before her accident. The further the story progressed, the more I found myself liking Razi and her character.

Reading this kind of book provoked a number of questions, leaving me wondering even more than I had before I started reading. In a way, that is good, but it is also frustrating to walk away with no answers. This, though, is no fault of the author. They are the fundamental questions we all ask - what happens after death? is there an afterlife?

The only thing that really bothered me is what happened to Andrew after Razi's death. I was disappointed in him for both moving on (marrying Sunny and starting a family) and not moving on (not going to Yale, settling on just teaching law). On one hand, it was good that he was able to start his life again, but it kind of bothered me that he chose to do so with someone so closely linked to Razi. His decision not to go to Yale also bothered me. If he wouldn't give up his dream for Razi while she was alive, then why give it up after her death? I also found it incredibly tragic that Andrew died just months before Razi was able to connect the dots and find out where he was. In that element, I was unsatisfied with the conclusion. Her sudden realization that Andrew was always with her was true, yes, but did he know that? Maybe I'm just a sucker for neatly finished endings, but I would have liked it if they were somehow able to communicate before they both moved on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mercy of Thin Air.