Brendan's Reviews > Motherless Brooklyn

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem

5919994
Jul 30, 11

absolutely fantastic. a novel such as "motherless brooklyn" is a pretty risky prospect. not only does the promise of a top-notch detective story have to be fulfilled, but the author also has to worry about creating an accurate and believable portrait of a main character with tourette's syndrome, a condition that few people understand to be anything more than swearing uncontrollably in public. lethem fires on all cylinders here, crafting not only a detailed and intricate mystery, but also blessing us with a richly nuanced portrait of his main character, lionel essrog. as readers, we glimpse not only how lionel's condition effects his interactions with the world outside his skull; we are also given a full view of how his condition effects his thinking process. he is immediately likable as a narrator, immediately involving me completely in the story. the early flashback sequence reminded me of the poignancy and nostalgia of "a bronx tale," and the book kept me riveted straight through to the finish line. i can't recommend enough that you read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Motherless Brooklyn.