Tommy /|\'s Reviews > The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First

The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri

Jul 30, 11

Being a major "stat-head" with my own personally created database of MLB, I'm always enamored with stories of how teams run through infrastructure - both from a statistics point of view, and from that of a business. Teaching classes on Business, I can appreciate the fine line that teams have to walk between their existence as a sports team and a profit-turning (potentially) business. Keri brings all of that to life with this story of Tampa Bay's Major League Baseball franchise. Detailing the differences between the ineptitude and indifference of the first ownership/management group and the current one, this book brings to life many of the challenges and struggles that teams face in today's marketplace -- especially those teams designated as small- or mid-market organizations. The final chapter of this book brings much of this to life with a stark depiction of the challenges that the Rays face going forward against that of marketing juggernauts such as the Yankees and the Red Sox. Where "Moneyball" explained a lot of the statistic models to the average fan, "The Extra 2%" does the same for the business end of the game.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extra 2%.