Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)'s Reviews > The Catastrophic History of You and Me

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, review-copy, arc, owned-and-read
Read from March 19 to 23, 2012

Wow I don't even know how to start describing this book, heartbreaking comes to mind as does the power of forgiveness and acceptance that life moves on after you die and while you'll never ever forget your life, you'll never be forgotten either.
Which begs the question if you were to die tomorrow could you accept it? Or would you not be able to let go of your life?
Brie has this problem after dying of a broken heart (her heart actually broke in half) after her boyfriend told her he doesn't love her, Brie in her afterlife finds herself at her favourite pizza place, with a strange assortment of people, one of who is Patrick an eighteen year old boy who died in the eighties and is dressed the part who helps her get through the grieving process of the end of her life.
But you see Brie is angry she's upset her life is over and she wants revenge on Jacob her boyfriend whom she blames for killing her, so she convinces Patrick to help her and it's when she goes back and is checking up on her family and friends she discovers that the people she left behind aren't handling it very well at all, her boyfriend Jacob was keeping a huge secret from her which was why he broke up with her, her best friend was also keeping something from her but it's the betrayal from her Dad that she discovers which hurts most of all, her Dad who is a well known heart surgeon is obsessed with discovering why Brie's heart broke the way it did and in the process has pushed his family away.
Patrick who seemed familiar to Brie when she first met him has some secrets too in fact a big one that may just involve Brie, and the way he died is part of the secret.
I loved the banter between these too and the various names he came up with for cheese (her name's Brie, get it?).
The way the book was separated into the five stages of grief was fantastically done, and the struggle Brie had to finally let go of her life and move on had me in tears, actually throughout the books I shed a tear or two which isn't good when you're in a food court at your local shopping centre or eating lunch in the tea room at work.
I loved the ending and while towards the end I sort of guessed what the connection was between Brie and Patrick it still made me happy when it was revealed.
A fantastic read which I highly recommend and I definitely look forward to seeing what the author has planned next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catastrophic History of You and Me.

Quotes Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book) Liked

Jess Rothenberg
“You can obsess and obsess over how things ended—what you did wrong or could have done differently—but there's not much of a point. It's not like it'll change anything. So really, why worry?”

Jess Rothenberg
“The trouble is, sometimes words are like arrows. Once you shoot them, there's no going back.”

Jess Rothenberg
“No matter how much you think you know a person—no matter how pretty they act, or how popular they seem, you can never know what their lives are really like.”

03/20/2012 page 46