Jo's Reviews > The Chimney Sweeper's Boy

The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine

Jul 30, 11

Read in December, 2009

Finished 11th February 2009.

This was a strange book. Hard to put down. I did not find a single character that I could feel true sympathy with, Gerald was arrogant and domineering. I wanted to shake Ursula for being so submissive and accepting of his mental abuse. The daughters were spoilt and immature. What a family but a good read and I was intrigued to find what his secret was at the very end of the book! I can't see why the events would cause Gerald to become so unloving and hard, can somone change so much so suddenly?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chimney Sweeper's Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chana I also asked myself that question as the person he was before was kind and goodhearted. I think it is possible though if the event was traumatizing enough, which it was. He probably lost his identity, personality destroyed, he died in a way and had to make a new person of himself. That he did this in the physical world as well the emotional world was, IMO, interesting and good writing.

message 2: by Oska (new)

Oska Fanga I am a little perplexed by Gerard.s disdain of his wife, but then again the environment for homosexuals was terribly hostile then,, it ceated monsters out of good ppl. A great read indeed and beautifuly written.