Matthew's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Jul 30, 11

bookshelves: books-on-pod, fantastic
Read in July, 2011

Rothfuss has received an incredible amount of hype, so I read The Name of the Wind and found it underwhelming. But then Wise Man's Fear got even raver reviews, so I thought I would give it a try, and I have to say that I just don't get it. The world-building is too concentrated on a few locations to give any sense of depth; the magic is too mechanical to give any sense of wonder. The prose is pretty sharp and the characters are finely drawn, so the worksmanship is solid--but not nearly artful enough to warrant the outrageously decompressed plotting. So far as I can tell, the story doesn't actually even begin until 300 pages in. And though remaining 700 pages have their moments, they do virtually nothing to advance the overall plot. While wandering through that big long non-sequiter I was a little bored, then angry, and finally too exhausted to even consider investing more time in the third act of the trilogy.

If you love this book and can explain why, please tell me. Clearly I have missed something, and I would very much like to know why Rothfuss is considered one of the new lights of the fantasy world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.