Christina's Reviews > Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat

Life, on the Line by Grant Achatz

4207798
Jul 29, 2011

Read in July, 2011

This book sucked me in, made me cry and inspired me to think about my life's passions. It's amazing to read about a genius with vision who is so stoked by his own dreams that he puts everything else aside and makes it happen... with the help of a few key people with money, connections and faith, of course. In my mind, his cancer (not a spoiler, I promise) is a horribly ironic subplot to the chef/food/restaurant one. I loved the food, meal, culinary innovation descriptions. This was the first book in a long time where I couldn't stop reading and stayed up until 2am. But that being said, it is not well-written. The beginning childhood stuff is so "what I did last summer" that it's painful. It is too linear, too chronological. His glossing over of his personal life was weird-- respectful I guess, but awkward. The different fonts for the two writers was confusing and I had trouble switching back and forth between voices. And it was still a compelling story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, on the Line.