Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Hounded

Jim Butcher

PLUS

Joss Whedon

EQUALS

Now would be the time to admit the truth about your parents, Hearne! ADMIT IT!

For the most part, Hounded is a delightful, action-packed urban fantasy novel with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, interesting characters and witty banter.

It's not a perfect novel. The main protagonist, Atticus, a 2100 year old druid living in Tempe, Arizona is a fantastic character. Unfortunately, Hearne realized what an awesome character he'd written and accidentally took that step into making him just a little TOO awesome. Reading about Atticus standing around pwning yet ANOTHER person with his cool witty banter and incredible intellect eventually becomes a little tiresome.

Characters like Buffy and Captain Mal, whom Atticus is strangely linked to in my mind, are fantastic characters - and what makes them doubly awesome is that they aren't perfect. Atticus needs to have a flaw which doesn't include him being too good with the ladies. That's like going to a job interview and stating that your personality flaw is that you just work too hard!

Timothy Olyphant smoldering it up
My dashing good looks and charm really are a curse...

Over all, 3.5 stars from me and I look forward to reading the next book in the series!

124 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

08/23 page 6
2.0% "Is it just me or does this author have a chronic counting problem?" 3 comments
02/24 marked as: read

Amanda Ooh I really hope you enjoy this. I loved it, it's one of my favorites!

message 2: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana So what you are saying is that the MC is a Gary Stu. Is he too hawt for his own good too?

Kat Kennedy Lol, yes, he is a little Gary Stuish but I think the story and secondary characters make up for it mostly.

Laura You get to see more of Atticus's flaws in the next two books. Particularly in the third one, Hammered. He is bull-headed and cocky and you just want shake some sense into him!

message 5: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Whoa, seriously. You should send this love-child info to US magazine. Morphthing.com could not have done a better job.

Elsie My thoughts exactly.

Mari This is not anywhere the quality of Butcher or Whedon. So don't lie. Please.

Kat Kennedy I'm not much for falsifying my opinion on a book for any reason.

Jahve I'm going to give it a try. BTW which one gave birth to the blind negro baby who wrote this novel?

message 10: by Scribble (new)

Scribble De Dibble Eh? Why is he a Gary Stu? He's been alive for two thousand years. That's a lot of time for you to sort out your personal issues :P I also prefer him to your usual wangsty UF character. If he's a GS then I wish there were more of them :)

message 11: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I have a random question.....I have just added Hounded - The Iron Druid Chronicles to my TBR shelf. But there are books that are seemingly half books (eg 5.5) but I have no idea which order they are read in! Any ideas?

message 12: by azerjaban (new) - added it

azerjaban If Joss Whedon and Jim Butcher had a love child that would one day grow up and write a novel - this would be the novel he wrote.
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Now I have to read this!

message 13: by N (new) - rated it 4 stars

N Haskell Love the Whedon &Butcher comparison. right on!

Muttix Onlymuttix I will say, every interview I've ever been on has asked me what my biggest flaw is and to every one I've replied something along the lines of working too hard. I've gotten every job I ever interviewed for. ;)