Carl's Reviews > Russell Wiley Is Out to Lunch

Russell Wiley Is Out to Lunch by Richard Hine

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: comedy, first-reads
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy

RWIOTL was extremely well written, however, I felt that at least 3-4 occasions, I thought to myself, well, what is exactly happening here. It dulled out particularly at the start.
At one point at the start I was going to give up. I'm glad I didnt because it got increasingly more humorous and Office-esque.
On one hand, I didnt really understand some bits. I felt that you needed to have worked in the newspaper industry to actually get some parts.
That said, it did give you some insight.
I was a little irritated at the consant repetition that Russells life is in turmoil and that his marriage was on the rocks but equally, I felt frustrated for him as he seemed to be getting it from all angles! If I felt for him, then it meant I got attached to his character and ultimately the book.
It's a promising start for Richard Hine and I am extremely grateful for winning this book on First Reads. I wanted to give this 4 stars but it just lacked a good enough start and I could see some folk giving up on it too early. Of course, they wouldnt know what they are missing but unless they read the reviews (I am not the only one who has said this) it could be curtains.
Because it picked up greatly and I got inside the characters lifestyle, I am giving it 3 stars. Good effort.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Russell Wiley Is Out to Lunch.

08/20/2011 page 48