Megha's Reviews > Hear the Wind Sing

Hear the Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: reviews
Read in July, 2011

Perfect example of beauty in simplicity!

Even after having read a bunch of novels by Murakami, I always find a new flavor in each of them. Sure they have some similar characters and recurring themes, but each of his novels does have a different note in its voice and a different mood.

Hear the Wind Sing again has a nameless narrator, quirky characters, off-the-wall dialogue, lots of beer, some music and some literature. His characters are the last people one would expect to break into an emotional monologue. And yet Murakami brings out the sense of sadness and loneliness that lurks beneath the nonchalant exterior very well. Where this sadness emanates from, they know not. And their stories have often to do with finding themselves.

Both this and Pinball, 1973 do feel somewhat incomplete and aimless. But they give a clear picture of the humble beginnings, which with later novels matured into stronger works. Pinball, 1973 is more of a prelude to what came later on. It carries a glimpse of almost all of the familiar Murakami elements. Hear the Wind Sing is relatively simpler. This simplicity really works for it and makes it an even more pleasurable read than Pinball, 1973.

I wish there were a way for me to see how his mind works. Well, however it works, what comes out of it is wonderful.
_______________________

I can't believe how super-tiny this book is. Lighter, smaller, thinner and cuter than kindle/nook/kobo or what have you.

My copy arrived in the mail today. The seller had even gift-wrapped it in a beautiful paper!
38 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hear the Wind Sing.

message 1: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M wow! That's the first Murakami right?

message 2: by Megha (last edited Jul 29, 2011 10:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megha Yes, this is the first one.
I think this is the only Murakami novel that I still have to read, so glad to have found a copy.

Marvin I am so envious! It's the only one I have not read too.

message 4: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M Where did you get the copy? And I have a lot more Murakami to read. but I plan on reading all of them!

message 5: by Megha (last edited Aug 14, 2012 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megha I bought it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hear-Wind-Sing-...

I could have bought two fat books for the $20 or so that I paid for this tiny one, but I really wanted to get it.

Kwesi 章英狮 I wish I can buy a copy of this book! Haha. Thanks for sharing the link mp.

message 7: by Nate D (new)

Nate D I had no idea this was back in print! Thanks!

Megha I happened to come across this through Amazon's personalized recommendations. Good job Amazon!

message 9: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M Sweet review! (clicks on amazon link and scrambles for the debit card)

Megha Thanks Stephen. It is a sweet little book. I doubt any Murakami fans will dislike it.

message 11: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian GalaDali A review that is a perfect example of beauty in simplicity!

Megha Ian wrote: "A review that is a perfect example of beauty in simplicity!"

Thanks Ian!

rahul “Not surprisingly, there is no single straight-forward storyline. What we see are little anecdotes describing various images swimming in the narrator's head, his experiences over a summer and some of his past memories. However, the narrator doesn't yet take a flight to the world beyond. That will have to wait till later books.”
This point is absolutely well said. The way one memory, or an event is linked to another with just the slightest bit of connection is so relatable. The fact that Murakami used to run a restro-bar, before he took up writing stands out in this book. As well as, Pinball,1973. As most scenes are set around there.
Having read A Wild Sheep Chase before Pinball,1973 I felt that the later was where he placed the seeds for the Sheep Chase. Both of his initial works excellent none the less, for simplicity and then those sudden monologues of longing and pain.

Megha Rahul wrote: "“Not surprisingly, there is no single straight-forward storyline. What we see are little anecdotes describing various images swimming in the narrator's head, his experiences over a summer and some ..."

Yeah, that's right. Plotwise, Pinball, 1973 is more of a prequel to A Wild Sheep Chase than Hear the Wind Sing. All three share the same characters (Rat and the narrator) though.

rahul Dance,Dance,Dance I suppose is the last in the Rat series. Though this aint the right place, i need help to pick my next Murakami. choices are between Dance,dance... or South of Border... or Kafka on the Shore.. Any advice??

haven't read Wind Up bird yet, as i want to save it for last.

Megha I don't like Dance, Dance, Dance all that much.
If you haven't read Wind up.. yet, you will probably enjoy Kafka on the Shore a lot.

message 17: by Tony (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tony "Beauty in simplicity" ....that's a very good,and concise definition of this book. I like this phrase so much!!

message 18: by Uli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uli Vogel You can download The Rat 1 and 2 as pdf on various sites.

message 19: by Uli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uli Vogel If you love Murakami it's a must. It's pure, simplistic and an enjoyable way to be introduced to the rat.
this small volume was the first book that almost made me miss my station to get off...

Megha Uli wrote: "You can download The Rat 1 and 2 as pdf on various sites."

Right, that's where I had read Pinball, 1973. This one, I managed to get a hard copy of.