Judy Hubbard's Reviews > Becoming

Becoming by Raine Thomas

Aug 16, 11

Read from July 29 to August 16, 2011

I don’t read a lot of YA novels because I write contemporary adult romances, but while on Twitter, I struck up a friendship with the author of Becoming, Raine Thomas, and I had to read her book.

I don’t like it when people tell me everything about a book and spoil the read for me, so I won’t do that to you. What I will say is that this is a great read! Raine has a wonderful imagination and has created an entire race of people and a new world that has never been explored before and has done it brilliantly. I’ll admit that I was getting a bit confused trying to sort out all the different classes of Estilorians and remember their names, but that in no way distracts from the wonderful story Raine tells in Becoming. The book opens with an action-filled prologue that had me wanting to read more and kept me engrossed and entertained until the last page.

Amber and Gabriel are the cutest couple you ever want to meet. Even though they are only 18, they are completely devoted to each other and their love is pure, passionate and timeless. When they travel to the Estilorian plane, I was transfixed by Raine’s description of their new world and the changes that had taken place physically within each of them. There were surprises waiting for them there—good and bad, but the one constant was their undying love. As the title states, the book is about Becoming who you’re meant to be and the journey undertaken to get there.

I can’t wait to read the second and third novels in this series. Bravo Raine, bravo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming.

08/16/2011