Andrea's Reviews > Perfect Peace

Perfect Peace by Daniel Black

Aug 13, 11

Read in May, 2011

So many of my friends recommended Perfect Peace to me that when I started to read it I expected a really great read. Unfortunately, that was not meant to be. Perfect Peace is a good book that lets Mr. Black's wonderful way with words get in the way of a good story. He spent so much time and effort setting up Perfect's family life and the manner in which Perfect came to be that he rushed the ending. It seems like he ran out of things to say and had to wrap it up somehow. Every son of Gus and Emma Jean Peace received a real resolution to their story except the main protagonist. I feel cheated.

Bad ending aside, I love the world that Daniel Black created, so similar to my own growing up in the rural south. I can almost see the church, the river, the fields, the people. I hope that Mr. Black does right by Perfect and give him another book - I'd love to see what his life was like once he left his home and went out into the world - his loves, his hardships, his successes. He's left enough material for a sequel, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Peace.