Alexis's Reviews > The Lake of Dead Languages

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

Jul 29, 2011

Read from July 29 to 30, 2011

I appreciated this book. It didnt fall into every cliche that I thought it would. I am very very good at predicting the endings of novels, but she made it impossible to predict the ending until about 3/4ths of the book- kept my mind reeling. I loved that!

Her prose is languid and beautiful but I have to admit sometimes I got a little frustrated at with it. She seemed to kind of get caught up in the description of things that didnt really matter- but it wasnt enough to really make me want to put the book down. The beginning is a little hard to sit through- but once you're hooked, it's stomach-turning-hella-awesome.

At some parts I was a little upset that the protagonist (with whom I'd connected the most with) seemed to be favored by no one. The guy she loved didnt love her back, her best friend kinda blew her off, she was left penniless after a failed marriage... and the teacher she idolized flat out told her "your friend is better than you". I didnt see any semblance of a happy ending coming. and there wasnt, really. There was no happy ending with rainbows and babies. It was realistic! but jovial enough to satisfy me, which i really appreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake of Dead Languages.