Thebookbutterfly's Reviews > Struts & Frets

Struts & Frets by Jon Skovron

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: library, music, guy-pov, contemp, cover-love, art-stuff, real-issues, rocks-my-socks-off
Read from July 29 to 30, 2011

"He would talk about how important all music was. How it took us--not just the people who played it but the people who heard it--to a place above the normal boring world."

What I've realized with the world is that you cannot talk about music, good music, without being pretentious which 1) I don't really care. I love music so much that I just don't let it bother me anymore. And 2) There is something wrong about that because you should be able to talk about your opinions on everything from the punk movement to how The Kinks affected heavy metal without being viciously and verbally attacked.

But music (bear with me) is a soul, a pulse, a heartbeat. And I will always love it for being that way. Music is expression and life.

Sammy is this really cool, really musical, slightly emo teenager and you absolutely cannot read this book with falling in love with him for that fact. Watching him struggle with his feelings for his longtime best friend Jen5 (who is a really cool, really artistic girl with a tough attitude that I also adore) is just...exactly what I love in a romance-y contemporary novel. Sweet and authentic.

The band was quite funny as all bands should be. I loved reading their interactions with one another because they're the kind of geeky that I love. When Sammy said that his friend Alexander was "like a walking They Might Be Giants song" I fell in love all over again, with this entire story and it's vivid characters.

The writing was powerful and charming and genuine and raw--all at the same time. Jon Skovron has a true talent with words, the story flowed along so smoothly that it almost went by too fast, leaving me both nostalgic and satisfied at the same time when the book ended.

The Columbus, Ohio indie underground scene was just plain awesome. No other words for that.

When Sammy said how the Pixies were his favorite band...

Ok. I'm finished. I will just end up gushing the rest of this review.

Please go read this if you haven't yet :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Struts & Frets.