Stephanie's Reviews > I Promise

I Promise by Robin Jones Gunn

Aug 22, 12

Read in August, 2012

When I think back to fifteen years ago, when I read the Christy Miller teen years series for the first time, I seem to recall identifying with Christy and enjoying the fact thoroughly. A month or two ago, as I began the college series, my overall expectation was that I would no longer identify with the characters as much, since I've ben through a lot more of life, and Christian fiction tends to flatten characters by making them act too "perfectly" when life hits them hard. So, all in all, I wasn't expecting much from these books, although I wasn't expecting to hate them. I simply wanted to finish the series to gain a sense of completeness, of a finished task.

So imagine my surprise when I found that God had some small lessons in mind for me as I read the books. Contrary to what I expected, instead of disliking the book because of Christy's close to "perfect" responses to life hazards, I began to see her more as, I suppose you could say, a role model. What made this really evident to me was the surprising renewed revelation that Christy's shortcomings are extremely similar to mine--but she handles them much, much better than I do. And for the first time I read these books in such a way that, instead of glorying in the fact that she has all the same problems I do, I was gently challenged to start to mature out of my shortcomings as Christy does. I was gently challenged to trust God more, worry less, and, above all, not wallow in my failures, but try to grow out of them. That last bit went especially deep.

I feel like I read these books at just the right time. More than just the fact that I am very close to Christy's age and stage in life in this series, I feel that this was the right time in my walk with God for me to read these books. I was completely not expecting it, but God used them to show me some quiet truths He's been conveying to me little by little.

As to the 4 stars, those are given from a more objective, literary stance, and that rating doesn't matter as much as how God used them in my life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Promise.