Elizabeth's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, audiobook, mystery, sci-fi-and-fantasy
Read in July, 2011

I was, as with just about everyone else who's working their way through this series via the audio versions, upset that James Marsters wasn't narrating this latest book, which was instead narrated by John Glover. I thought about just getting the paper version and reading that instead, but since the reason given for Marster's absence on this book was a scheduling conflict, I have to hope that he'll be returning for future books. Given that, I decided to go ahead and get the audio version so I didn't end up with one single hardcover mid-way through the series.

I was nervous, though, because every review I'd read prior to downloading it was pretty negative. I'll admit -- it was a bit difficult to get used to Glover's voice speaking the words I've gotten so used to hearing from Marsters, but after the first couple of chapters, it got easier. (I will note that if there are ever books written from Butters' point of view, John Glover is the man to go with -- he sounds *exactly* like what I imagine Butters sounds like.)

As far as the novel itself goes, I was pleased, especially since the reviews on that hadn't been entirely positive, either. Many people complained that this was a very "filler" story and could be skipped entirely. I don't agree. It did have some interlude "recap" moments to it, but I think we learned a lot about some of the characters (Mortimer and Molly, for example, and to a lesser extent, Karrin).

Favorite moments in the book include:
-- The point at which Dresden says "I'd fallen victim to one of the other classic blunders, along with not getting involved in a land war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death was on the line."
-- The fact that Dresden referred to the scary ghosts in town as "Lecter specters."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.