Melissa 's Reviews > Remembrance

Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, teen-romance, teen-general-fiction, with-reviews, teen-paranormal-fiction
Read from September 29 to 30, 2011

When Lizzie first meets Drew it is like a switch goes on in her brain. Suddenly she is remembering places and events from the regency era and drawing pictures of that time. She feels like she knows Drew, and despite the fact that she is seeing someone else and her best friend has staked a claim on Drew, Lizzie feels that she needs to be closer to him. But the closer she gets the more he pushes her away telling her he is trying to protect her. What secrets lie in their shared past?

I have been looking forward to this novel. Madow came up with the idea while watching the music video for Taylor Swift’s song “Love Story.” Several times while reading this I found myself humming the song, and I can see the inspiration.

Madow does a good job developing her characters. Lizzie is a reliable girl who has been with her boyfriend Jeremy for three years—a long time for a high school relationship. Her best friend Chelsea thinks that Jeremy and Lizzie are perfect for each other and hopes to find a relationship of her own with Drew. Throughout the novel, the relationships between the characters strain against each other, make in the novel believable and giving it much of its tension.

I love the aspect of the past life, and the references to Pride and Prejudice. Madow does a wonderful job carefully building the past life into the story and making the past and the present reflect each other

Overall, this was a fun light read. Great for the season since it takes place in the fall. I enjoyed the parallels between the times and really enjoyed the way the author built suspense in the novel. A Great first novel, I look forward to reading more from this author.

Cautions for sensitive readers: None.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remembrance.

09/29/2011 page 41