Nikki K's Reviews > Breaking the Silence

Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain

Jul 29, 2011

Read from July 29 to August 07, 2011

Maybe this book thrilled me because I'm a mom? Maybe it was because I studied Psychology in college? Maybe because I love books set in the 1940's or 50s?

It probably was a little bit of it all. I loved this story. If I could have, I would have read the novel all the way through in one entire sitting.

The story starts with Laura rushing to the hospital to say goodbye to her dying father. Upon his death, he asks her to do him one last favor: visit the unknown woman, Sara Tolley, who suffers from Alzheimer's. Laura agrees to meet her.

Ray, Laura's husband, does not want her to obey her father's last request. He is adament about it, but Laura is intrigued. Who was this woman to her father?

Ray has been battling Depression for most of his life, he is over 20 years her senior. The day that Laura goes to meet Sara, Ray takes his own life. Laura's daughter, Emma, was home alone with him when he did it. She has gone mute. She will not speak to anyone. Not her mother, her friends or her therapist.

Laura must solve two mysteries while grieving the deaths of her husband and beloved father. Who is Sara Tolley? What has happened to Emma's voice?

The story unfolds through the telling of present life with Laura and through Sara's recollection of the past.

This is a wonderfully told tale of cruelty, secrets, madness, family, love and the extremes that we go to protect our children. Read this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Silence.