Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)'s Reviews > Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games

Locke & Key, Vol. 2 by Joe Hill

2204710
Jul 11, 14

bookshelves: comics, fantasy, fiction, horror, magic, own
Read from November 15, 2011 to July 11, 2014 — I own a copy

These books officially freak me out and give me nightmares. But they are so wonderful!

Read the full review at Working for the Mandroid

Giant Monster Spoilers for Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft ahead

I mean, seriously, I’m spoiling the big giant surprise at the end of volume 1 that left me flabbergasted on an airplane. It's the very next paragraph.

So remember Echo, the creeptastic girl in the well (mentioned more in my review of the television pilot)? Who climbed out and escaped only to return as Zach, Tyler’s new BFF who is also a boy? Who just so happened to have been Tyler’s dad’s BFF 25 years earlier when he went by the name of Luke? Yeah, total mindfuck. I honestly think that’s the biggest “WTF?!” moment I’ve had reading this year and I mean that in a good way. Anyway, that one “small” reveal at the end of Welcome to Lovecraft sets up the entire second volume.

Head Games opens with a seemingly non sequitar story of a teacher at the kids’ school, who had been working there for decades, including when the Locke kids’ father went to school there. When he sees a kid that looks eerily like someone he taught over two decades prior, the old man understandably freaks out. This leads to some background story for Echo/Luke/Dodge/Zach’s previous life, a sense of the extent that mystery follows him around and quite a bit of bloodshed.

Then we move on to the Locke kids, picking up a few months after the events of the previous volume. Bode is still precocious and obsessed with the strange keys hidden around the house. Tyler is still pensive, but working through his grief. And Kinsey is falling apart at the seams, wanting to forget how to both cry and fear. When Bode finds a key that doesn’t fit in any lock in the house, he discovers a keyhole embedded in the back of his neck. Insert key, open up head, stick things in, take things out. There are all sorts of possibilities! It’s most freaky form of osmosis that I have ever seen and the key passes through multiple heads before the story is done.

The entire story revolves around Zach’s cleanup mission – his need to wipe his previous existence as Luke from everyone’s mind. Even the Locke kids are ancillary to Zach’s mission. He uses everything and everyone he can to achieve his objectives, all the while this giant mystery of his origin, his abilities and his original objective float around him unanswered. He is incredibly compelling as a character even though he’s mostly a blank slate. I think I could read about him all day even if he is stealing guns from police evidence lockers and threatening to kill people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Vol. 2.

11/15 page 74
46.0% "So CREEPY! Keyholes in people's necks? Eeeep!"
07/11 marked as: currently-reading