Kelly's Reviews > When the Wind Blows

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fiction
Recommended to Kelly by: Georgia
Read in August, 2011

As I always do when I read any book, I go through and read some reviews so I know what I’m up against. In this book’s case, the very first review I read on this book said that it was “amateurish” writing and that the characters were one dimensional. In fact, there were quite a few negative reviews on this book. I came upon this book and ended up picking it up on the recommendation of my sister in law. This book is the .5 book in the “Angel Experiment” series so I got it, along with the first book in the series from my library, so I could read both. I wasn’t sure how well I would like the books after what I read from reviews but I thought I’d give ‘er a go. I am SO glad I did.

I found this book to be a true page turner from the get go. Something about Patterson’s writing style always draws me in even though I’m not a real fan of his books. Its weird because I like everything I’ve read that he’s written, but his usual murder mystery genre doesn’t work for me. THIS story though really struck me as fascinating and the fact that it *could* be true, really fascinates me more. One dimensional characters? I really found the opposite to be true. I found the dimension that was given was just perfect and worked well with the story. It was exciting and a little romance was thrown in (which for me is always a plus) and I am really anxious to start the next book in the series. Quite a few readers must feel as I do because the series is a popular one. The next book in the series seems to be a follow up to this book but then the Angel Experiment series branches out? I’m confused and I’ll have to figure that out. All in all though, I say poo to the other reviewers, This was a darned good book! As much as it pains me to say this, my sister in law was right!

What I disliked: Each chapter in the book represented the view of a particular character. One of the characters switched to first person and that switch between third person and first person back and forth annoyed me. I don’t mind either view, I just don’t like it switching back and forth.

What I liked: This is going to sound sort of goofy, but as I am writing this I’m thinking back on the ugliness of scientific research that is set in the contrasting beauty of the Colorado mountains. I don’t know if that was meant for the location of this story, but it hit me. When it did, I realized that the book affected me and I liked that. I am very anxious to start the next book in the series, whatever book that is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Wind Blows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

N!na This book is the first one where we are introduced to Max and The Lake House follows on from this and then the Maximum Ride series begins with The Angel Experiment etc. When The Wind Blows and The Lake House are separate to the others, I think mainly because they were aimed at adults and then the Maximum Ride series was aimed at young adults, I don't care though, I read them all anyway! Love the series, it's one of my favourites and i agree with your review! :)