Hubert's Reviews > The White Tiger

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: literature-and-libations
Recommended for: maybe some first-time readers?
Read from July 25 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

When I first started this book I thought that the writing was trite and simplistic to create the effect of being clever, a little bit like watching a cartoon set in India. By about the 2/3 point however, when the reader sees how the main protagonist and narrator Balram will reveal his crime, one gets the sense that underneath the lightness of the rhetoric, Adiga actually incorporates deep moral questions into the tale. By the end, I was thinking that the novel was still a bit too clever, but for a good reason.

The Kim Basinger reference was hilarious. There were multiple times in the book where I laughed out loud while reading the book. But again, if I'm looking for black humor, I'd rather go with Under the Frog: A Black Comedy which takes it to the hilt.

Side note: I've been having trouble with Booker Prize books lately. I've been underwhelmed by most Bookers I've read: this one, Life of Pi, The Blind Assassin, and Wolf Hall. With the exception of Atwood (which bothered me for other reasons) all these Bookers I've gleaned as too clever and witty, somewhat lacking in substance, tinged with irony and narrators who'd rather be cute. I'd much rather have raw realist stuff or more psychological modernist fare.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Tiger.