Annette Nagle's Reviews > Mere Christianity

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Jul 29, 2011

Read from May 10, 2012 to May 06, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mere Christianity.

06/18/2012 page 10
07/29/2012 page 78
41.0% ""But the whole point is that he is abstaining, for a good reason, from something which he does not condemn and which he likes to see other people enjoying. One of the marks of a certain type of bad man is that he cannot give up a thing himself without wanting everyone else to give it up. That is not the Christian way." - C.S. Lewis"
07/29/2012 page 79
41.0% ""An individual Christian may see fit to give up all sorts of things for special reasons - marriage, or meat, or beer, or the cinema; but the moment he starts saying the things are bad in themselves, or looking down his nose at other people who do use them, he has taken the wrong turning." - C.S. Lewis"
01/03/2013 page 92
48.0% ""People often think of Christian morality as a kind of bargain in which God says, 'If you keep a lot of rules I'll reward you, and if you don't I'll do the other thing.' I do not think that is the best say of looking at it. I would much rather say that every time you make a choice you are turning the central part if you..."
01/03/2013 page 99
51.0% ""Our ancestors have handed over to us organisms which are warped in this respect: and we grow up surrounded by propaganda in favour of our unchastity. There are people who want to keep out sex instinct inflamed in order to make money out of us.""
01/03/2013 page 104
54.0% "Wow. The chapter on sexuality. Just WOW. So enlightening."
05/06/2013 marked as: read