Book Binge's Reviews > Magic Slays

Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: for-review

Kate is in her very own office and working for herself at Cutting Edge Investigations – but things are a bit boring around the office. Kate has been open for a month and still no business. Then she gets a call from Rene – the lady who hosted the Midnight Games in book 3 – and she needs help. Apparently a man that she and the Red Guards have been playing bodyguard to has disappeared. Rene would like both the man and the device back but really the device is the more important of the two.

Kate agrees to take the case and no sooner does she do that than her best friend Andrea shows up. Andrea's been “missing” for two months but the two fall into their normal friendship and all is well. When Kate and Andrea go to investigate the place where the man was abducted from they don't find a whole lot of info. But as is normal the more Kate thinks about things and connects the dots in small, infinitesimal ways, she begins to figure out that something's rotten in Denmark. Strangely enough she figures out that Saiman has something to do with it and since he is the man with information Kate and Derek head off.

While at Saiman's they are attacked and so is Kate's office that holds quite a few important people including Kate's ward, Julie. Julie is injured in a way that Kate can't fix and it about sends her over the edge in her rage. Kate is determined to find the man responsible for it all as well as the very deadly device he has created...as well as the fanatics who are trying to use it for their own “good.” She's also determined to fix/heal Julie and it may cost her her life.

I just got done reading almost all of the Kate Daniels books just this week and I have to say I LOVE this series. I really had to be pushed to read book 1 a couple of weeks ago and it was good. But when I picked up book 2 I was definitely sold on the series. I thought for sure that I was going to get burn out by the time I picked up book 5 but that didn't happen at all. I don't think I could get sick of reading about Kate and all of her adventures.

This book was the same as the others in regards to the wonderful writing, the fabulous world-building and the creative story-telling that the author provides for us. But the story was so very different from what we've experienced in previous books it really kept me on the edge of my seat.

I adore Kate for so many reasons. She seems oh so fearless but she really has a ton of fear running rampant in her body. Fear of not taking care of the ones she loves and/or is responsible for; fear that she will be detected by her evil father; fear that innocents will get hurt by something some psycho does. But she runs into the fray anyway and I admire her every damn time she does it.

Curran and Kate are just so amazing together. I love the relationship they have because they accept each other for who they really are. Do they like what the other does all of the time? Oh, hell no. But they realize that there are some things that they can't control about the other and love each other despite that.

Magic Slays is one great book and a wonderful addition to the whole series. If you haven't read the series yet, do it!

Rating: 5 out of 5

This review was originally posted on Book Binge by Tracy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Slays.