Sam Quixote's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Sep 20, 11

Read in August, 2009

I got the idea to read this from Nicholson Baker's article against Amazon's Kindle device where he said he had to finish reading this on his Kindle (despite disliking doing so on such a shoddy device) because he had to know what happened in the end. I'm not predisposed toward legal/crime thrillers as I think they're a bit too melodramatic and sensationalist (I was thinking of John Grisham). However it's an unfair generalisation as I hadn't read any books from this genre. So I picked it up not expecting much, probably giving up after the court room scene where the lawyer does a Pacino and spouts on to the jury about how the system is corrupt, etc. Yawn, snooze.

What can I say? Pleasantly surprised? No, in fact utterly gobsmacked! What had I been missing! Who was this writer?! Michael Connelly... the name was one of those you see in charity shelves alongside James Patterson and Andy McNab, an ubiquitous author, bound to be overpraised. I'd say "The Lincoln Lawyer" is the best novel I've read in a year.

I can't complain about any aspect of the book - the characters were solid, the main character utterly likeable, believable and real, the plot compelling, the dialogue and descriptions, right down to the legal speak seemed authoritative and right (I'm not a lawyer so I can only say it sounded like he'd done his research). The whole setup of a lawyer in a lincoln town car, the pro with years of experience dealing with judges and bikers with complete confidence, was new to me and rich in story. Even Nicholson Baker's claim that he read the last hundred pages at a gallop in one sitting turned out true - actually for me it was more like the last 150 pages in one enjoyable sunny Sunday afternoon.

I cannot recommend this book more. I'm not one for legal thrillers but this was a fantastic novel. I'm already deep into the sequel "The Brass Verdict" and have ordered Connelly's latest "The Scarecrow". I urge you to check this guy out, the man knows how to write.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne Thanks for the great review! I have added to my to read list!

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Quixote Thanks for the comment! I'm sure you'll love it. Movie version's not bad either.

Genine Franklin-Clark I've put it on hold at my wonderful local library and should have it in my hot little hands next week.

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Quixote I envy you, you've got a helluva read ahead of you.

Eileen I think that's funny, I also lost the paperback and HAD to finish it on an ereader on my phone.

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Quixote It's good isn't it? Once you get going you have to know how it ends. Sign of a great novel.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula Mazar deemer Love his books and the free downloads from amazon don't know what I'd do without them and my iPad